Town of Pocola
Incorporated March 18, 1963
Pocola is an Indian name for ten mile, which was the distance from the settlement to Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Pocola's first Board of Trustees included: C.H. (Buster) Tery- Mayor, Don Howard, Hershel Gray, David Webb, and Vic Grizzle.
Ted Coleman- First Clerk, P.W. Gray- First Treasurer, C.W. Harris- First Police Chief, and Charles Henry- First Fire Chief.
The first meeting was held at the school on April 16, 1963, later at the Coon Hunters Club until 1966 when a City Hall was built.
Points of Interest:
-1963: The Town of Pocola was established and a newly elected board of Trustees Began to shape our town and an Army surplus truck was obtained to use as a fire truck.
-1963: Pocola population was 1453. The population grew to 3600 in 2003.
-1965: RWD #2 was established with 250 users.
-1965: Telephone service for Pocola.
1966: Pocola City Hall was built.
-1968: A 1 cent sales tax passed for the General Fund.
-1975: Pocola Municipal Authority (sewer) was established. 370 users at this time. In 2003 users grew to 512.
-1977: A 1 cent sales tax for the Fire Department was passed.
-1979: A new fire department was built and is now fully equipped for most all emergencies.
-1985: Central National Bank of Poteau established a branch in Pocola and Pocola Health and Rehab was built during this year as well.
-1987: Pocola got its own Post Office with its own zip code.
-1991: Pocola's first stop light was installed at the intersection of Hwy. 112 and Hwy. 271.
-2003: Pocola's second stoplight was installed at the intersection of Hwy. 112 and Pryor Street.
Want to learn more about Pocola? Click here!